Saturday, March 03, 2007

March 3 - Indian Flute Giant Performs

Pandit is an honorific; in Indian music it is a musician who has developed great sensitivity and skill in interpreting centuries old rags - the canonical compositions of classical Indian music. I have seen Indian bamboo flute-Bansuri musician Pandit G.S.Sachdev. At age 73, playing for 50 years, he has a relaxed style. As a child his father discouraged his musical interests; his mother secretly encouraged them. Early in his career, he played for Bollywood soundtracks, but became disenchanted and refocused on deepening his experience with classical music. Sachdev is also comfortable with fusion of Western styles and has resisted Indian discrimination against musicians outside the established multigenerational musical families. Of his playing he reflects. "While playing, I have become not there. I feel the flute is shrinking, becoming smaller and smaller until it's not there. I'm on the stage...I am, and I also am not. I'm just gone. Those moments make life worth living and the music worth doing." Sachdev will be accompaned by Abhiman Kaushal on Tabla www.kalakendra.org
First Congregational Church
1126 SW Park Avenue
$15 advance www.indogram.com $20 door