Tuesday, September 17, 2013

September 18 Choose Your Own Photo Adventure Destination

Photographer Ansel Adams is the modern photographer that distilled Western Transcendentalist landscape photography of the 1870's and 80's. He was famous for his co-development and perfection of the Zone system. The principles are still relevant though increasingly not understood as photographers trust the brain of the in-camera digital image processor.

Someone who does understand the process, and the man, is Alan Ross. Ross was Adams' assistant. He speaks tonight of that experience and his own discoveries in photography.

At the Portland Art Museum Whitsell Auditorium 1219 SW Park 6:30PM Free PAM and Newspace members, $5 students/seniors, $10



Susan de Witt is a local photographer fascinated by photographing ghosts. Her work includes the vicissitudes of chemical photography. Here is what the photographer copywrites: "My first actual encounter with ghosts was while I was in France, staying in an old convent in Cahors. It was lunchtime and I was heading across the vestibule from the dining area into the laundry, when I stopped dead in my tracks at the sight of 5 monks, similarly dressed in brown cowled robes, heads down, faces hidden, sweeping the floor in unison. I have absolutely no doubt that they were there - I was not afraid - and during my stay there over the next two weeks, I had other visitations from an old woman, who I later learned had died there. She simply terrified me.
Heavy sleep often brings me these surreal encounters, fading in and out of clarity - a mirage of sorts. So real are these visions that I can mistake their questionable authenticity for that of certainty. My mind allows me to see the possibilities and partake in the moment. I recall fragments of my dreams here, fleeting moments that have stayed with me.

Serendipity plays a part when I print with with chemicals. Often unrepeatable results appear before me on the paper, results that excite me in their unpredictability. I appreciate the pen-and-ink-drawing quality that lith provides me; reality disappears from the page, bringing forth an illusion for the viewer, a misrepresentation of accuracy. All of my composites are done in the darkroom, where absurdity takes precedence over actuality."

A free brown bag lunch talk organized by the Portland Art Museum Photography Council. At Portland Art Museum, Masonic Temple Building, Miller Gallery. 1219 SW Park Noon Free



We love DIY, as you have noticed. DIY as a destination is back as a participatory craft event tonight. There will be a live interview of Rebecca Lerner, author of Dandelion Hunter. Music by DJ Daddy Issues. A trivia contest. But best, it's an opportunity to bring your crafts and craft together with cool friendly people. Organized by, hosted by and generally made awesome by Julie Sabatier, creator of www.destinationdiy.org at adxportland.com 417 SE 11th x Stark Map 7PM-9 $3-5 comestibles included